The Different Types of Mold in Your House and What They Mean

Don’t Let Mold Take Over Your House – Get Rid of It With These Tips

Mold is a type of fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors. It thrives in moist environments and can grow on any organic material. There are many different types of mold, some of which are more harmful than others. If you suspect that you have mold in your home, it is important to identify the type so that you can take appropriate action by calling

Some of the most common types of mold found indoors include aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Stachybotrys chartarum. Aspergillus is a type of mold that can be black in color and often grows on food or other organic materials. It is not typically harmful to humans but can cause problems for those with weak immune systems. Cladosporium is another type of fungus that forms green, grey, or brown spots on fabrics, wood, or food. Like aspergillus, it is not considered dangerous unless you are particularly susceptible to infection from this type of fungus. Stachybotrys chartarum is a cousin of Stachybotrys atra, which is commonly referred to as black mold. It is known for forming slimy black patches that release spores into the air, causing lung problems when inhaled.


If you suspect that you have mold in your home, it is important to get professional testing done immediately. This will allow a certified inspector to identify what type of fungus is growing and recommend appropriate action to remove it from your home. For example, if you discover aspergillus or Cladosporium, simply removing the source of mold growth should be enough to eliminate the problem. However, if you find Stachybotrys chartarum or other more serious types of fungus-like Toxicodendron peltatum (poison ivy) or Trichoderma harzianum (a type of green mold that is resistant to fungicides), it may be necessary to hire a professional remediation team in order to get rid of the problem.

If you suspect that you have mold growing in your home, it is important to act quickly and consult with an expert before taking any action on your own. The consequences of not doing so can be very serious, as inhaling spores from these types of fungus can lead to respiratory issues or even more severe problems like lung infections.

Scroll to top